Amazon has launched a new service called Amazon Cash, which is mainly aimed at customers who don’t have credit or debit cards. Through this new service you can add to your balance with cash by paying at participating retailers. Amazon is trying to attract “cash customers” (the unbanked or “underbanked) who make up 27 percent of consumers as of 2015.
What Is Amazon Cash
Amazon will provide each customer with a barcode that can be scanned at a participating retailer, then having the cash applied immediately to their online Amazon account.
The service will support adding any amount between $15 and $500 in a single transaction, Amazon says. AmazonCash will be available at brick-and-mortar retailers across the U.S., including CVS Pharmacy, Speedway, Sheetz, Kum & Go, D&W Fresh Market, Family Fare Supermarkets, and VG’s Grocery. More stores will be added in the future.
The barcode for Amazon Cash can be generated by visiting the Amazon Cash site, and it can be accessed through Amazon’s website, the mobile app, or saved to things like the Android home screen or the iOS Wallet for easy access. Customers without access to smartphones can also print out the barcode and bring to stores in person to directly deposit funds.
AmazonCash is similar to purchasing an Amazon gift card, but it makes the whole process simpler and quicker. The advantage to AmazonCash is that, as soon as you checkout at the register, the funds are available in your Amazon account. There are no fees involved.
This is a interesting new service that for now doesn’t seem to offer any new opportunities for those who currently earn points on Amazon gift card purchases at some of these merchants and then use them to shop online. It does make the process a bit easier.
Get $10 Digital Credit With First AmazonCash Load
To attract customers to its new service, Amazon is also offering a promotion that will earn you $10 in Amazon Digital Credit (HT: DoC). For a limited time, add $50 or more to your Amazon Balance using Amazon Cash and earn a $10 digital credit towards select digital categories.
After you add $50 or more to your Amazon Balance using Amazon Cash, you will receive an email confirming that your $10 digital credit has automatically been added to your Amazon account. To use your credit, simply purchase an eligible product from one of the following digital categories: Appstore, Kindle books, Digital Video, Digital Music, Digital Software, and Digital Video Games. Your discount will automatically be applied at checkout. This is a limited time offer, one per Amazon customer account. The promotional credit expires on June 30, 2017.
- Amazon Cash transaction must occur between 12:01 am (PT) on March 29, 2017 and 11:59 pm (PT) May 31, 2017. This is a limited time offer.
- Shipping charges and taxes may apply to discounted and free promotional items.
- Offer may not be combined with other offers.
- The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $10 off digital products on amazon.com; including Digital Video, Digital Music, Digital Software, Digital Video Games, Kindle books, and Appstore.
- You need to add $50 or more in one transaction to qualify for this offer.
- Your $10 digital credit expires at 11:59 pm (PT) June 30, 2017.
- Offer only applies to certain digital content sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC.
- Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel the offer at any time.
- Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold.
- Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your order.
- If any of the products or content related to this offer are returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the product or content, subject to applicable refund policies.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
- Unless an Amazon Gift Card is the stated benefit of the promotion, promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards.