One of the perks added to the Amex Platinum card is $200 worth of Uber credits annually. This benefit is available for all cardholders to use. Here’s a quick explanation of the benefit, who’s eligible and how to take advantage these Amex Platinum Uber credits
What is the Amex Platinum Uber Credit
As a Platinum cardmember, you receive $15 in Uber credits for U.S. rides each month plus a bonus $20 in December, delivered through an exclusive Uber app experience. Plus, become an Uber VIP, where available. You don’t need to meet minimum ride requirements and be connected to drivers with top user ratings.
Who Gets The Uber Credit
The Uber credit is a benefit of the personal Amex Platinum card only, not the business version. Credit and Uber VIP status is only available to Basic Card Members and not authorized users on the account.
If you have more than one Amex Platinum card, you can add them to the same Uber account to get multiple $15 credits monthly.
How It Works
Amex Uber credits are applied to the Uber Cash balance. The change happened in October 2018. That means that you need to manually select Uber Cash as your payment method in order to use your credits. You are prompted to add credits to your account, if you do not have enough to cover the entire ride. Or, you can scroll down and select a card to cover just the remaining amount.
- Start your Uber app or create a new Uber account (and get $20 off first ride) if you don’t have one.
- Add your Platinum Card as a Payment Method
- In the Credits section in Payments you see $15.00. You’ll also receive an email acknowledging that your Platinum Card is linked to your Uber account. Also, you will be automatically enrolled in Uber VIP status, where available.
- Request a ride in the Uber app and select Uber Cash to pay for your ride
What Else You Need To Know
- Both the personal and business Amex Platinum cards earn 2X Membership Rewards points on Uber charges
- You cab apply your monthly credit to any Uber ride in the US
- Unused credits will expire on the last day of each month
- Credits will be available for use on the first day of each month.
- You don’t need to use you Amex Platinum card to pay the remaining balance for the ride
- You can use Uber credits for UberEats
These Amex Platinum Uber credits are a great benefit for those who regularly use Uber. You actually come out ahead even with the annual fee increase. Personally I don’t use Uber much, but you can get some free food monthly from uberEATS.