The Amex Platinum card is about to get much better. Starting on March 30, 2017, consumers with The Platinum Card will receive exclusive access in the Uber app to a new Uber Rides with Platinum benefit, which provides up to $200 annually in Uber credits for U.S. rides and automatic VIP status where available. Platinum Card Members will also receive 5X Membership Rewards points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com. Priority Pass Select lounge will now get you entrance for two guests for no charge.
This is in addition to the recently unveiled 5X Membership Rewards points on airfare booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel.
Card Members will also get access to an expanded Global Lounge Collection, a new Global Dining Collection, more global events, enhanced mobile servicing options, and all of the other benefits that currently come with Platinum Card Membership.
Starting March 30th, Card Members will receive access to:
- Uber Rides with Platinum: Through an exclusive Uber in-app experience, Card Members will receive up to $200 in annual credits for rides within the U.S., as well as VIP status where available. Card Members will receive $15 in Uber credit per month, with an additional $20 bonus in December, when they add their American Express Platinum Card as a payment method to the Uber app.
- 5X Membership Rewards: In addition to the recently unveiled 5X points for flights when booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel, Card Members will receive 5X Membership Rewards points for eligible hotel bookings. Fine Hotels & Resorts bookings will not be eligible.
- Expansion of the Global Lounge Collection: Card Members will have access to the growing Global Lounge Collection — over 1,000 airport lounges, located in 500 cities, across 120 countries.
- Upgraded Priority Pass Select: At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge, you may bring in two guests for no charge. You will be charged $27 for any additional guests.
- Complimentary Additional Gold Cards: Card Members will be able to add additional Gold Cards on their Platinum Card Account for no annual fee.
- Access to a new Global Dining Collection: American Express is partnering with world-renowned chefs to provide one-of-a-kind dining experiences around the world.
- More Global Events: American Express is expanding its By Invitation Only® program to include more experiences in top destinations around the world, such as the Grand Prix de Monaco, French wine country and fashion tours with Harper’s Bazaar to celebrate the magazine’s 150th Anniversary.
- Continued value at Fine Hotels and Resorts: Card Members will receive benefits such as complimentary daily breakfast for two and guaranteed 4PM late checkout.
- New Card Design: American Express is introducing a new, sleek metal Card design.
These are part of a growing roster of benefits that Platinum Card Members can already take advantage of including: up to $200 Airline Fee Credit that can be used for incidental fees such as baggage on a selected airline each year, Starwood Preferred Guest Gold Status and Hilton Honors™ Gold Status, access to the Delta Private Jet program, complimentary access to Wi-Fi hotspots provided by Boingo Wireless, a Fee Credit for Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓ program application and no foreign exchange fees.
These added benefits will sure make it worth for some people to keep the card long term, even with the increased annual fee that will now be $550, starting March 30, 2017. That’s $100 more a for these new additions. Uber users will easily offset this fee increase, and two free guests with Priority Pass Select is a nice addition. 5x on hotels is also a goof benefit, but it is limited and not everyone will take advantage of it.
The current signup offer for the Amex Platinum card gives you 75,000 Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
Which products will receive the new benefits?
The following Consumer Platinum Cards are eligible for the new benefits:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express
- The Platinum Card® from American Express for Ameriprise
- The Platinum Card® from American Express for Charles Schwab
- The Platinum Card® from American Express for Goldman Sachs
- The Platinum Card® from American Express for Mercedes-Benz
- The Platinum Card® from American Express for Morgan Stanley
How Does This Affect Current Members
New benefits will be effective on March 30th, 2017 for all Platinum Card Members. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.
The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card.