Now through February 16, 2017, you can get up to 42,500 bonus miles when you buy or gift American Airlines AAdvantage miles. On top of that, you’ll also receive 10% off your order when you buy or gift miles by February 8, 2017.
That sounds a little confusing, but here’s the best case scenarios, including bonus miles and discount:
- 20,000 + 7,000 bonus – $601 (2.23cpm)
- 40,000 + 15,000 bonus – $1,172 (2.13cpm)
- 60,000 + 22,500 bonus – $1,742 (2.11cpm)
- 75,000 + 30,000 bonus – $2,171 (2.07cpm)
- 100,000 + 42,500 bonus – $2,884 (2.02cpm)
By looking at the best possible deal at 2.02 you can guess that even when maximized, this is not really a deal to get too excited about. But could be useful for some working towards a redemption.
If you do decide to purchase miles, keep in mind that the purchase counts as airfare spend. So don’t forget to use a credit card that will give you the most points, such as Amex Platinum (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel) or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare).