Bank of the West is offering again a sign up bonus for checking accounts. The current offer has two bonuses, one for $150 for new Easy Checking accounts and the other for $300 for new Premier Checking accounts. The $300 offer requires you to deposit and maintain a $50,000 balance for over two months, so it’s out of reach for some and also doesn’t make much sense compared to the $150 offer.
The $150 bonus is for Easy Checking accounts. Student Checking and Premier Checking excluded. All offers valid for any other consumer checking account opened at any San Francisco Bay Area branch or account application submitted on bankofthewest.com between 10/01/16 and 11/18/16 with a minimum opening deposit of $100 or more with funds new to Bank of the West (Bank) received and posted to the account no later than 11/30/16.
The bonus is broken up in two parts:
- $100 bonus after direct deposit of at least $250 posted to the account by 01/31/17
- $50 bonus after you request, receive and use Debit Card linked to the new checking account for 10 or more debit card purchases
Bank will classify the bonus as interest paid to the checking account. Any applicable taxes associated with this offer are the responsibility of the account holder. To the extent required by law, Bank will report total value of the offer to the IRS on Form 1099 for tax year 2017.
- Offer is not available to existing Bank of the West customers with an open checking account as of 09/30/16.
- If the customer or other individuals residing at the same address received or may receive any other consumer checking bonus from the Bank between 02/01/15 and 02/27/17, then no one at that address is eligible.
- Limit of one consumer checking bonus per individual and per mailing address.
- Employees of Bank of the West and its affiliates are not eligible for this offer.
- Account must be in open status and have a positive balance as of 01/31/17 to be eligible to receive any bonus.
- Bonus will be credited to the open checking account by 02/28/17.
Monthly Service Charge
Easy Checking accounts come with a $8 monthly fee if you have enrolled in Online Banking and elect to receive Online Statements. You’ll be charged a $10 if you receive paper statements.
To Waive the Monthly Service Charge, each statement cycle:
- Maintain an average monthly balance of $1,000 or more OR
- Receive at least one direct deposit of $250 or more OR
- Make a minimum of 10 net debit card purchases per statement cycle from the Easy Checking account. Net purchases equal total purchases minus returns/credits. ATM and Cash Advance transactions are not included.
- Apply here
- Account Type: Easy Checking
- Availability: AZ, CA, CO, ID, IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, SD, UT, WA, WI, WY
- Expiration Date: 11/18/2016
- Inquiry Type: Soft pull
- Credit Card Funding: Up to $500 (Online)
- Direct Deposit Requirement: Yes (at least one DD of $250 by 01/31/17)
- Other requirements: 10 or more debit card purchases
- Monthly Fee: $8 (waiveable, see above)
- Closing Account Fee: $25