Amex Old Blue Cash was one of the greatest cards around, since it offered unlimited 5% cash back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores such as CVS. That was nice while it lasted, but the card still has all the same perks, but with a limit of $50,000 annualy for the 5% categories.
While writing about the Blue Cash Everyday offer, I noticed that the Amex website has the link for the Old Blue Cash card as well. You can either right click and open the link in incognito mode, or while in incognito mode, on the Amex website go to View All Cards and under Blue Cash Everyday, you should see “Looking for an earlier version of the Blue Cash Card?”
This link apparently has been up but I had never looked for it since I’ve had the Old Blue cash card for over 10 years.
The “catch” with OBC is that you have to spend $6,500 before the 5% kicks in. So you’ll have to sacrifice a bit to start earning a 5% rate at supermarket, gas stations and drugstores. The $6,500 should be spent in other categories, so it doesn’t cut into the $50,000 limit that applies to the 5% categories.
So to get the most out of the card, spend $6,500 on other purchases and then close to $50,000 at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores. I say “close” because it’s best to stay under that limit since there’s been reports of Amex shutting down accounts that abuse the 5% categories.
Amex doesn’t provide you with a tracker for your cash back, so you should keep track of the spending and limits. The $50,000 resets on the account anniversary.
- Spend $6,500 on other purchases at 0.5x = $32.50 cash back
- Spend close to $50,000 in 5x bonus categories = $2,500 cash back
- About $2530 in cash back total for about 56K in spend
- For your first $6,500 in purchases in a reward year, you will receive 1% on Everyday Purchases, and 0.5% on other purchases. After your first $6,500 in purchases, you will receive 5% on Everyday Purchases up to $50,000 and 1% on other purchases
- Redeem the Reward Dollars you earn for cash back in the form of a statement credit, or choose from gift cards or merchandise. Redemptions start at just 25 Reward Dollars
- APR on purchases will be a variable rate, currently 17.24, 20.24 or 22.24%, based on your creditworthiness
- Purchase protection, Return Protection and Extended Warranty on eligible items